usb ubuntu

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Tue Feb 12 06:40:49 UTC 2008

Jason Dusek wrote:
> Unfortunately, that didn't help. There's no explicit mention of
> what to do about the CDROM drive issue in there. I'd have to
> start all over again -- rebuild my image, &c. -- in order to use
> that HOWTO. I just want to know how to mount the CDROM drive
> myself.

When you say "bootable USB drive" (in your original mail), is it a CDROM
connected via USB or is it a USB stick? I assume it is a USB stick, but
it isn't clear.

How did you make that bootable USB drive? Did you just copy the ISO image
to the USB stick with the dd command (or something similar)? That
wouldn't work because the kernel knows that a USB stick is something
different than a CDROM. The original ISO image expects to be started from
a CD, not from a hard disk or USB stick. As a part of the pendrivelinux
article the isolinux.cfg file is replaced by a modified version which
doesn't look for a CDROM but uses whatever devive it is booted from. I
suppose, you can just download the .zip file mentioned in the article and
replace the isolinux.cfg file on your USB stick with the one in the .zip
file.

Nils