Telnet Server installation failed

Ted Hilts thilts33 at telus.net
Mon Feb 11 19:35:38 UTC 2008

Derek Broughton

You wrote: "Sigh..."

After all the replies I asked myself why it was not obvious.  The reason
is that in my wildest dreams if the package was not on the server disk
then why would it be any where else.  It is obvious now that everyone
has told me.  In my mind I could not figure out why the client would be
available but not the server so I assumed this was done on purpose. I
guess that there are other packages that make use of the client.  But I
did not know that until recently.  So it now makes sense that the client
was still required but the Telnet Server was no longer wanted (by
most).  It's really easy to get confused when everything is new.  I have
moved from Slackware, to Red Hat, to SuSE, to Debian, and now trying to
include Ubuntu.  I would never have installed Ubuntu except I had heard
that Xen worked well on Ubuntu and I needed a pilot project .  However,
I never got past the TELNET problem and started using Ubuntu with the
Firefox add-on called SCRAPBOOK.  It worked so well that I retired
Windows Firefox SCRAPBOX as well as OE (offline explorer) windows
application that I had been using for years.  At that point I decided to
install Xen on another machine because I wanted to keep Ubuntu for
browsing and the Firefox SCRAPBOOK application.

I still have to find the instances of Telnet and associated libraries
that were created from Debian and get rid of them. And then I need to
get Telnet Server (Ubuntu) going and then maybe I can ask my question
about installing Ubuntu Xen on an already running and stable Ubuntu
distribution.  I don't want to lose all that data collected on Ubuntu
using the SCRAPBOOK application.

But to answer your question, make your installation more comprehensive
by putting references to all these repositories in the "sources" file
but include usage remarks and comment out the references to the
repositories.  But even then how would one know that the Telnet Server
was in the Universe repository without examining the repository by
getting a listing of all its contents. There should be a comment to the
effect that if a package is not available it might be found in the
Universe repository. Maybe then there would be fewer newbees like me
doing dumb things.

Thanks, Ted

Derek Broughton wrote