[ubuntu-users] Telnet Server installation failed

Felipe Figueiredo philsf79 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 17:33:40 UTC 2008

On Mon 11 Feb 2008 14:44:00 Ted Hilts wrote:
> Steve
> You wrote: "
>
> you need to install telnetd and telnet"
>
> I did.  Except I could not find telnetd in the Ubuntu distribution so I used
> aptitude to get it from the Debian distribution. I installed Ubuntu
> 7.10 "Gutsy" Desktop from a Ubuntu DVD and could not find telnetd on the
> Ubuntu 7.10 Server CD.

I'm not surprised that telnetd is not included in the CD/DVD, neither should
you, as you said yourself you know it's deprecated and insecure.

However, you should have used aptitude to look into Ubuntu's repositories,
instead of Debian's - you should never use repositories from other distros,
unless it's a very well documentated specific case that works, AND you know
exactly what you're doing.

You also mentioned you tried looking in synaptic. Close enough. In synaptic
you can enable the official repositories under the menu Settings.

You can do the same GUI without synaptic in the menu
System/Administration/Software Sources

Check the main, restricted, universe and multiverse repos, and reload the DBs
when it asks you to.

regards
FF