How to load squid was Re:localhost

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Feb 11 17:09:49 UTC 2008

Bart Silverstrim wrote:

> NoOp wrote:
>> On 02/10/2008 02:41 PM, Bart Silverstrim wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, I've run into cases where screwing up hostnames can cause fun
>>> problems.  In the times I've set up Squid, though, it usually was more
>>> tolerant of that error or at least have errors logged to the logs Squid
>>> keeps that would point out DNS/hostname-related errors, or at least
>>> setting it to your own host IP seemed to work.
>>
>> Looks to be a larger problem. Just for grins I decided to install squid
>> on my test laptop - the one where hostname -f works & the one that is a
>> pretty much stock Ubuntu Gnome 7.10 w/2.6.22.14-generic. Got the
>> following:
...>
>> Setting up squid (2.6.14-1ubuntu2.1) ...
>> Creating squid spool directory structure
>> FATAL: Could not determine fully qualified hostname.  Please set
>> 'visible_hostname'
..
>> Nothing in logs other than sys.log with the "Could not determine fully
>> qualified hostname.  Please set 'visible_hostname'"
>>
>> The laptop has a fixed IP (192.168 range), so it wouldn't be anything
>> related to dhcp etc.
>>
>> Re-loop to https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/squid/+bug/12709
>> that the author of
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/squid/+bug/97505
>> referred to.
>>
>> Don't know how you can pre-edit /etc/squid.conf if squid doesn't
>> install...
>>
>> Can anyone else replicate? If so, perhaps we need to revisit/refile
>> 12709 or add on to 97505.
>
> I'm sorry if I'm missing it, but what did you set the visible_hostname
> directive to in squid.conf?
>
> That is one thing that you can't pre-edit, so it does have to be set
> first.

Well, I agree this seems like a bug.  We _do_ have debconf, so surely it
should be used to _get_ your visible hostname so that the install doesn't
b0rk.  But do you really need to set visible_hostname?  The implication of
the messages, to me, seems to be that if it can find a proper FQDN
from "hostname -f" (or equivalent) you should be able to get by without
pre-configuring visible_hostname.
--
derek