problem with LDAP

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Mon Feb 11 13:32:57 UTC 2008

Luca Ferrari wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm trying to install LDAP on a machine, and migrating the existing accounts
> to the LDAP service. When I run the migration tools I got an error:
>
> # ETC_SERVICES=/dev/null ETC_ALIASES=/dev/null ./migrate_all_online.sh
>
> ldap_bind: Invalid credentials (49)

This message is telling you that the DN (distinguished name) and password
used to bind to the ldap server are invalid and that the LDIF file that is
created was not imported into the ldap server.

> /usr/bin/ldapadd: returned non-zero exit status: saving failed LDIF
> to /tmp/nis.ldif.ZFnBMs7271
>
> The file seems to be created right, but I don't know what that saving failed
> means. Any idea?

The file was created since the information could not be imported into the
ldap server.  You'll need to fix the bind problem in order to proceed.