fetchmail cant fetch mail

Wade Smart wade at wadesmart.com
Sat Feb 9 20:59:37 UTC 2008

Dan Farrell wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 08:04:05 -0600
> Wade Smart <wadesmart at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Derek Broughton wrote:

>>> Ahem:
>>> derek at bella:~$ nslookup mail.wadesmart.com
>>> Server:         192.168.1.1
>>> Address:        192.168.1.1#53
>>>
>>> Non-authoritative answer:
>>> Name:   mail.wadesmart.com
>>> Address: 72.167.82.11
>>>
>>> derek at bella:~$ nslookup 72.167.82.11
>>> Server:         192.168.1.1
>>> Address:        192.168.1.1#53
>>>
>>> Non-authoritative answer:
>>> 11.82.167.72.in-addr.arpa       name =
>>> p3pop01-v01.prod.phx3.secureserver.net.
>>>
>>> So your mail provider _is_ secureserver.net.  And the only thing
>>> that was wrong was that both fetches were failing to authenticate.
>>> I can't help with that.

>>> That's normal.  You _ask_ for pop.gmail.com (just as you ask for
>>> mail.wadesmart.com), but the big providers will use various
>>> load-sharing schemes to route you to different hosts, so if you see
>>> messages back from them (and you usually only see errors) they'll
>>> have the address of the physical machine.
>> 02082008 0802 GMT-6
>>
>> I know secureserver is my host - but the
>> it at pop.where.secureserver.net is or was the problem.
>>
>> Whatever it was, I turned on fetchmail later that night and after 12
>> hours it started working so Im going to assume it was outside of my
>> environment.
>>
>> Wade
>>

> Wade, you must host your email on Godaddy.  make sure you don't have
> your email set up to forward to 'it' or to catch-all on the godaddy
> site.

02092008 1458 GMT-6

No forwarding to any address.

Apparently Im not the only one who has this trouble. I did a search
yesterday morning for it at pop.where..... and I found many errors from
different versions of linux using fetchmail who have had the same
problem. Most with different hosts but some with gmail.

Wade