Strange print behavior on some programs...

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Mon Feb 11 03:12:42 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-02-10 at 13:02 -0500, Peter N. Spotts wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I'm running Xubuntu 7.10 (fully updated) and am having some trouble with
> printing emails out of either Claws Mail or Evolution. I can print out
> of OpenOffice, Firefox, Acroread, Gedit. But with both email programs,
> when I bring up the print dialog box, the programs freeze and I have to
> restart them. I've tried reinstalling the printer (an HP Deskjet 6540),
> but that didn't help. And it happens regardless of
> session/window-manager combo -- Xfce4, Gnome, Fluxbox, Openbox, etc.
> Seems kind of odd that these two programs would be the only two that
> hang up on print, but hey, whadda I know?
>
> Thanks in advance for any guidance...
>
> With best regards,
>
> Pete
>
> --
> Peter N. Spotts | Science reporter
> The Christian Science Monitor
> One Norway Street, Boston, MA 02115 USA
> Office: 617-450-2449 | Office-in-home: 508-520-3139
> Email: pspotts at alum.mit.edu | Amateur-radio call: KC1JB
> www.csmonitor.com | www.peterspotts.net
>
> "The knack of flying is to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
>             -- Douglas Adams, "A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

I don't know how helpful this will be. I can print fine in Evolution on
my old Okidata OL 600e Laser. Before my HP 6L died, I had to check the
printer settings in the program, then preview the printout before I
could print. If I did not do that in the right order, I locked up and
had to force quit the program.

Still, the printouts were good when I got it to work. Maybe someone else
has a better answer.

good luck,

--
Charlie Kravetz