OFF: its getting bad(Very) Please READ

Stew Schneider stew.schneider at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 02:04:58 UTC 2008

Martin Walshe wrote:
> Yea thats what i taught until Hobsee stepped in and started to moderate the
> Kubuntu users lists as posts like this kept on cropping up was abit of a
> pain for awhile but it sorted alot of it out. Will find the link to the post
> made and will mail it on.

You do know, don't you, that this never works? Every list I've ever been
on, even the very, very well behaved ones, have a spat of nonsense from
time to time, followed by calls in high dudgeon for moderators to
moderate. These, in turn, are hooted down by screaming fits from the
Free Speech Advocates, appalled at the idea that any person should
impose his or her ideas of decent conversation upon others.

Eventually the Peace Maker and Accommodation Union representatives show
up, and counsel peace and tolerance. Since both sides of the argument
universally view the representatives of the PMaAU as officious,
self-righteous bastards, both sides then forget their differences and
attack them. Eventually, things return to normal.

Thing is, if you try to control what other people do it just goes on for
ever and ever, whereas if you just delete the nonsense, it eventually stops.

Of course, there's a good deal of entertainment in the meantime while
everybody shouts at once, and feels better for having done so (rather
like I'm doing now), but moderators or no, netnannies or no, things
eventually return to normal. It's really all about the trip getting there.

Carry on, good fellows, carry on.

stew