How to load squid was Re:localhost

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 11 00:53:28 UTC 2008

On 02/10/2008 04:42 PM, Bart Silverstrim wrote:

> NoOp wrote:

>> Don't know how you can pre-edit /etc/squid.conf if squid doesn't install...
>>
>> Can anyone else replicate? If so, perhaps we need to revisit/refile
>> 12709 or add on to 97505.
>
> I'm sorry if I'm missing it, but what did you set the visible_hostname
> directive to in squid.conf?

Haven't got that far.

> That is one thing that you can't pre-edit, so it does have to be set first.

I guess that's the point for the 2 bug reports that I pointed to...
there is *no* /etc/squid.conf available to edit prior to 'sudo apt-get
install squid'.

I might be wrong (usually am) but it would appear to me that doing a
standard apt-get install shouldn't cause a core dump:

> FATAL: Could not determine fully qualified hostname.  Please set
> 'visible_hostname'
>
> Squid Cache (Version 2.6.STABLE14): Terminated abnormally.
> CPU Usage: 0.020 seconds = 0.012 user + 0.008 sys
> Maximum Resident Size: 0 KB
> Page faults with physical i/o: 0
> Aborted (core dumped)

Just tried installing on my test server & got the same output.