Another WIFI Issue Involving WMP54G & /etc/hosts

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Feb 10 22:58:14 UTC 2008

--- Peter Garrett <peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au>
wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 12:59:22 -0800 (PST)
> Leonard Chatagnier <lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> > You know, I've asked if there is a way to
> reestablish
> > the /etc/host file to this list before and have
> never
> > got a direct answer to the question.
>
> For what it's worth, I don't use the new-fangled
> 127.0.1.1 or whatever.
> I just have
>
> 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost myhostname
>
> Where "myhostname" is whatever you named your box,
> in /etc/hosts at the top, with the usual IPV6 stuff
> left in at the bottom.
>
> Seems to work just fine. Personally I can't see the
> point of the
> additional IP, but no doubt there's some excellent
> reason for adding it.
> Since it works the old way, and I had issues with
> the new way, I just
> shrugged my shoulders and reverted it...
>
> Just as an aside, Leonard - many people have tried
> to help you since you
> joined the list. I think complaining about volunteer
> help is a bit rich,
> don't you?

No, not in this case. Sometimes a person needing help
just needs a simple straight forward answer to a
direct question for him to make progress.  And I did
read the reference, good to know, but didn't give me
any help.
In any case, I never have set up a network on my on
and was struggling for answers and knew on my own that
/etc/resolv.conf and my host file was not standard and
felt it was preventing the wifi from functioning just
didn't know how to fix. You read the list regularly
and know or will shortly that David Vincent already
provided the little clue that solved my whole wifi
problem and that I've already posted the solved
replies on his post and on my original posting of the
issue. If you read my original post,

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net