must rmmod nvidia & modprobe nvidia to start X

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Sun Feb 10 18:26:51 UTC 2008

Dan Farrell wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 08:52:54 -0500
> Bart Silverstrim <bsilver at chrononomicon.com> wrote:
>
>> The only thing I could think of off the top of my head would be to
>> check in your modules directory to see if there's a couple nvidia
>> modules in there, and the modprobe is launching the "correct one"
>> while the initial load is pulling an "incorrect" one.
>
> impossible, I think.  they'd have to have the same name.  If I were you
> I'd look for an upgraded module.

Sorry...just a hypothesis.  I didn't know the boot process well enough
to know why this would happen.

I mean, why would the correct module load at startup, but not function
until you removed it and stuck it back in unless there is another driver
for the same card somewhere that isn't loading properly the first time
because something else has dibs, or there is something interfering with
the order in which it's being loaded?

Maybe there's something in the logs that would give a hint where to look.