Erasing files in Ubuntu: other devices still see the files

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Sun Feb 10 14:30:15 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-02-09 at 15:23 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I have a 1GB USB memory stick. It had photos and text files stored on
> it, which I deleted on my Ubuntu (KDE) desktop machine. I then copied
> four video files to the stick and put it in my DVD player (which reads
> USB sticks as well). The photos and text files were still visible. I
> then removed the stick and placed in another Ubuntu (also KDE)
> machine, and all I could see were the video files.
>
> What gives? Why are these erased files still visible to other
> computers? And why can other Ubuntu machines not see the files? How
> can I be sure that sensitive documents that I've erased are in fact
> gone?

You might want to look at the program "wipe" in the repositories. It is
supposed to be able to effectively erase any file that you do not want
any agency to be able to revive. The web site reference for it is:
http://abaababa.ouvaton.org/wipe/
Also see  "man wipe"  for more information after installing.

good luck,
--
Charlie Kravetz