Getting Skype webcam working SOLVED

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Sun Feb 10 12:49:59 UTC 2008

Gerald Dachs wrote:
> Am Sat, 09 Feb 2008 20:55:30 -0500
> schrieb Bart Silverstrim <bsilver at chrononomicon.com>:
>
>> Karl Larsen wrote:
>>>     Well FEDEX arrived with my new referbished webcam And I knew it
>>> was going to be good. When I plugged it in a light in the webcam
>>> came on. On Skype I selected Options - Video Devices and where it
>>> says Select webcam it reads  (/dev/video0).
>>> When I press the test in the black square it shows the image from
>>> the webcam.
>>>
>>>     So to get a wbcam to work in Ubuntu you must have the right
>>> webcam and the one above is right. It cost $20.00
>>>
>>>     All of you who thought you should be able to get the other
>>> webcam I have working are wrong.
>> Okay.  Everyone on the list now knows that if it isn't something
>> listed on the known-good-out-of-box list, get something else that is
>> and all difficulties will be gone.
>>
>> Damn.  Guess we don't even NEED this list.  Karl just solved all of
>> our problems in perpetuity.
>
> :)
>
> The problem is only that his information are not very useful.
> At least the first ten pages in google searching for "Logitech QuickCam
> EC" let not show up a single shop where you can buy one. Either it
> is too old, or it sold by another name.

I know I was being snarky in response to something that sounded snarky
originally.  Forgive the sin, but in my reading of the thread it was
rather harsh to declare everyone else wrong when there were other steps
to be taken to troubleshoot.

I fully understand the resolution of just buying something else that
works out of box and don't blame him for opting to do this, but I think
a more appropriate reply would have been "thanks for trying to help me,
but I decided to get a $20 cam that was listed as working out of box
rather than sinking more time into a webcam that was taking more time to
troubleshoot than the $20 was worth to me..."

*shrug*

Anyway, acknowledge and move on, I guess.