Ubuntu Installation - Please Help - Black screen

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sat Feb 9 14:19:43 UTC 2008

Tony Hogan wrote:
> Package: installation-reports
>
> Boot method: From CD
> Image version: feb 8th - ubuntu website
> Date: feb 8th 2008
>
> Machine: HP Pavillion dv6000 (6449)
> Processor: AMD Turion 64x2 TL-56
> Memory: 2GB
> Partitions: C: 120GB Vista, 30 GB Linux,  7 GB HP recovery
>
> Output of lspci and lspci -n:
>
> Base System Installation Checklist:
> [O] = OK, [E] = Error (please elaborate below), [ ] = didn't try it
>
> Initial boot worked:    [OK]
> Configure network HW:   [OK]
> Config network:         [OK]
> Detect CD:              [OK]
> Load installer modules: [OK]
> Detect hard drives:     [E]
> Partition hard drives:  [ ]
> Create file systems:    [ ]
> Mount partitions:       [ ]
> Install base system:    [ ]
> Install boot loader:    [ ]
> Reboot:                 [ ]
>
> Comments/Problems:
>
> I got the CD to boot correctly.

    While using the Ubuntu in the CD did you bring up Firefox and make
sure the Internet is working? It sounds like it is not.

>  After choosing Install Ubuntu (the first option), the installer shows a progress bar. After the progress bar, the screen displayes test after test ( with [OK] after each - except what looks like network detection stuff that gives me a 'directory' not found error).

    Well what happened was to install Ubuntu it has to get some more
things from the Internet and it was not working.
> After the list of tests/checks is finished, the screen turns black and sits idle. I have left it for about 25 minutes now and still nothing.
>
> Any  ideas? Hope you can help. I am using the full ISO of ubuntu i downloaded last night which i burned to a CD.
>
> Thanks in advance for the help

    Work at making sure your Internet is on and working.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User