Linksys WMP54G Wireles Adaptor Wont Work; Or I Don't Know How To

Christopher Copeland chrcop at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 22:57:54 UTC 2008

Hi Leonard,

On 8 Feb 2008, at 12:20, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

> If that's not right thing or you or anyone have suggestions, let me
> hear them.  And thanks for keeping the thread alive.

Sorry for coming to this thread late. I have some experience with
wireless cards in linux and I'd be willing to offer any help I can.

I have a Giga-Byte GN-WP01 in a machine that has worked well with both
Gentoo and now Ubuntu. It is also a ralink rt61 based pci card, but
note I don't know if the GT version is the same. It's using the
rt61pci module now but has also worked with ndiwrapper. What are the
issues you are seeing with your linksys card?

I'd recommend using a usb based adapter if you are going to buy
something new. Better reception, easier to move to another machine
(laptop) and much easier to move around with a usb extension than a
lossy cable and RP-SMA connector. The ralink rt73 cards are the best
and my personal favourites. The D-Link WUA-1340 is easy to find around
here and hasn't been revision bumped yet so you don't need to worry
which chipset you are actually buying if you shop online etc..

Regards,
--
Christopher Copeland