Getting Skype webcam working

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri Feb 8 14:59:44 UTC 2008

Karl Larsen wrote:

>     I have a good webcam coming and the
> one I have that works just fine on WindowsXT gives you this on Linux:
>
> Bus 001 Device 002: ID 046d:08f6 Logitech, Inc.
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>
> It appears that all the device sends is the company name. I hope the one
> I am buying will send more to Linux.

No, that's all Linux needs: 046d:08f6

>      As for Google lists, they are the single most confusing things I
> have looked at. They are VERY poor. It told me nothing.

It's nothing to do with google "lists" - I'm just suggesting all you need to
do is google for "046d:08f6".  A quick glance shows that other people have
problems with the same device and the very first link shows two solutions
(one for Slackware, one for Gentoo) - so it should be no harder to make it
work under Ubuntu.
--
derek