Webcam recording question

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Thu Feb 7 19:46:49 UTC 2008

I have seen applications that can capture video from a webcam, and I've
seen that my Ubuntu system can use my webcam as a USB microphone (when I
hit "test" in the sound preferences).

Is there some way, or some application, where I can simply record sound
and video from my webcam as if it were a...I don't know how to describe
it but to say a video journal.

For example, on the Mac you can use iMovie to capture video from the
iSight as a video source and record yourself.  Can this be done on the
Mac?  Seems like the pieces are there in different applications to some
degree.