gnome-terminal question

Vitorio Okio ovitorio at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 6 22:16:33 UTC 2008

On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 09:37:15 -0800, NoOp wrote:

> On 02/06/2008 08:47 AM, Vitorio Okio wrote:
>> My gnome-terminal uses forced line wrap only. Thus, no matter what the
>> terminal window is, it wraps lines on line 80. It makes the reading of
>> the output in many cases very inconvenient.
>>
>> Is it capable to auto-wrap instead? If yes, how to turn it on?
>>
>> Thank you.
>>

> Mine (Terminal 2.18.2) wraps at the width of the window (on all my
> systems). Perhaps if you purge and reinstall?
>
> sudo apt-get purge gnome-terminal gnome-terminal-data sudo apt-get
> install gnome-terminal gnome-terminal-data

That helped but not completely.

It stopped forced wrapping on a predefined column, but only if I either
enlarge the terminal window before executing a command or I enlarge the
window during the command execution.  That is, it refreshes the window
and wraps the output according to the new window size only when output is
in process. If the command is completed the output remains wrapped for
the initial window size.

Is it the way it works on your systems?

Anyway it's much better than I had it before re-install.

Thank you.