mounting a second drive

Gerald Dachs ubuntu at dachsweb.de
Wed Feb 6 21:13:22 UTC 2008

Am Wed, 6 Feb 2008 21:56:12 +0100
schrieb Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net>:

> Wade Smart wrote:
> > I have a second drive that I use as a backup drive. Im needing to do
> > that now but Im unable to mount the drive.
> > I had set this up a long time ago to do so automatically at boot but
> > apparently something happened along the way and it is no longer
> > doing that.
> > I thought that the command was  "mount /dev/sbd1"  but I am
> > incorrect.
>
> Try "pmount /dev/sdb1" instead. If you want to mount it at boot time,
> create an entry in /etc/fstab for the device.

I have heard the first time from pmount, it seems to be like 'sudo
mount'. I don't think that another utility that is not installed by
default is necessary for a trivial problem like this. For me it is
clear that it is either a permission problem, or the OP forgot to use
the mounting directory on the command line, and because the new
drive is not in the fstab, mount can't take it from there. But because
I don't like to guess and I want that the OP learns to post questions
in the ML and learns to interpret error messages, I didn't tell this
in the first time.

Gerald