Putting an old server to good use

Gerald Dachs ubuntu at dachsweb.de
Wed Feb 6 20:42:01 UTC 2008

Am Wed, 06 Feb 2008 20:57:23 +0100
schrieb alex <mail at nabu.be>:

> I have an ancient system (800 MHz) which I was using as a server with
> ubuntu gutsy server on it. It also has svn/trac/openvpn/... running
> on it. It had 2 hard drives, which had the same approximate age as
> the computer itself, running in RAID1.
>
> Now, one of the harddrives has failed, and I'm pretty sure the other
> one is on the verge of failing as well. Instead of going out and
> buying new ATA drives (which I think to be a waste, since it's a dead
> technology)

And what? Let the new drive with this dead technology die with your
server, with luck in 6 years. I use a hp e-pc 40 with a 1.2 GHz Celeron
and an ATA drive as my server for everything, because my NAS has not
enough power. It works just fine and if the drive would die, I would
exchange it against another ATA drive. This old technology has not so
much power consumption than the modern one, and it is quiet. Of course
you could buy an ATA to S-ATA converter and a S-ATA drive and connect
it to your server, but I think this is nonsense.

Gerald