Reliable Network Manager in Hardy

Nils n.bruenggel at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 20:07:58 UTC 2008

Dear all

Today I tried out the Alpha 4 of Hardy and was quite disappointed that
it still ships with nm 6.5.

I had a lot of trouble with it, especially in WLANs with WPA
enterprise. It also seems that there are plenty of bugs in it. Network
Manager is essential to be able to work, unlike for example compiz,
which is nice to have. Of course you can also connect to all wlans
using the cli, wpa_supplicant, dhclient, etc, but this is IMHO a waste
of time.

Since there are some reports of how much nm 0.7 will improve [1] the
situation, I was hoping that Hardy will come with it. I would like to
know what the Ubuntu dev team does to improve the situation.

Regards

Nils

[1] http://blogs.gnome.org/dcbw/2007/10/15/networkmanager-07-is-the-new-chuck-norris/