Removing manually installed software

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 5 15:24:10 UTC 2008

On 02/04/2008 02:44 PM, Peter Smerdon wrote:
> Ed Miller <miller07 at suddenlink.net> writes:
>
>> Hi Ya'll,
>> Is there a command to use to find manually compiled and installed
>> programs that are out of date or no longer used? Or a command just to
>> remove these programs? I know where they are but I do not know the
>> dependencies.
>>
>> Thanks, Ed
>
> Hello Ed,
>
> if the software package you compiled came with a Makefile, check this
> file to see if there is an `uninstall' target. Sometimes you might be
> able to remove it with the `make uninstall' command.

And if so, you can typically remove it from Synaptic:
System|Administration|Synaptic Package Manager|Status
(Sections/Status/Origin etc)|Installed (local or obsolete).

Which means, if Synaptic can do it, someone will eventually come along
and tell us how to list & do the same with a command line :-)