dvd/cd repositories

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Tue Feb 5 04:02:37 UTC 2008

Chris Lemire wrote:
> I notice that Debian comes on 14 cds or 3~4 dvds. You get a minimal
> install by default like Ubuntu. Afterwards, if you want to install
> more software, synaptic or apt will say insert disk number such and
> such. My friend has 28 k dial up with Ubuntu on his laptop. What I'd
> like to do is create those dvds or cds for him that are fully loaded
> with extra software including multiverse repositories. I don't mind
> spending a couple of days downloading it all for him. I have 640 gb of
> total hard drive space but not all unused and a FIOS connection that I
> can use for downloading all the deb packages. How can I create those
> extra disks for him, so that when he wants to install software, he
> will be told to insert disk such and such?

Very do-able (and I think a damn good idea for lots of reasons).  You
need a few special tools, all available in the repos.

See here:

http://blog.entner.net/2006/08/16/make-ubuntu-dvds-including-everything/

One of the things I do differently from this guide is I do not include
the updates in my set, but download/burn those separately.  That way, I
only have to refresh a single 'update' dvd periodically, rather than
creating a new set of 4 DVD's