Network Problem

Willis Taylor gods-servant at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 2 03:43:57 UTC 2008

Ed Greshko wrote:
> Willis Taylor wrote:
>
>> I have Three computers on my LAN.  The one I'm on right now is my test
>> bed and it is running Ubuntu 7.10.  It is connected to my 2Wire
>> Router/modem, mod. 1000SW via NIC thru a Cat5e.  This is unit number 2.
>> Unit number 3 is running on WindowsXP connected to the 2Wire via a Home
>> Phone Network Adapter that plugs to the computer in the USB ports.
>>
>> Unit number 1 is a problem.  It is presently on a dual boot system with
>> Kubuntu and Windows XP.  Unit number one is connected to the 2Wire via
>> the only Usb port on the 1000SW 2Wire modem/ router.  If I boot the unit
>> #1in Windows XP all three computers connect to the internet, at the same
>> time, and they communicate via the LAN.  If I boot unit #1 in Kubuntu,
>> it will not communicate with any other device.
>>

> (snip)
>

>> I went first to the Ubuntu list and everyone centered on the device not
>> being suitable for the task I wish to accomplish but ith the system
>> working perfectly with computer #1 booted in Windows I just fail to see
>> that as a valid statement.  And when I was asked to post the lsusb
>> results everyone just fell silent.  Please help, I do not want to
>> operate Windows any more.
>>

> Actually, after reading this post as well as your previous post, it is clear
> that the device you are attempting to use will not function as you desire.
> That is why the list fell silent as you refused to accept reality.
>
> I could try to explain it to you...but I fear you will find the explanation
> "unpalatable".
>
> Just to give you a "taste"...  The use of lsusb will only indicate that the
> system is able to connect with the hardware and based on USB standards it
> will be able to detect what hardware is present.  It has *absolutely* no
> bearing on whether the OS will know what to do with the hardware or be able
> to talk with it.
>
> I know you don't want to use windows...and probably won't listen to me or
> anyone that conflicts with your views.  However, the only way for your
> Ubuntu Box...or any other Linux box to converse with your 2wire router is
> via ethernet *not* USB.  The other choice is to attempt to use the Windows
> drivers and ndiswrapper...but others have failed in that endeavor.
>
> I can enlighten you on the details, if your wish, or you can continue to
> blow me and others off.  Your choice.
>
> Ed
>
> (FWIW, I could send you my resume and maybe you'd give my input some credence.)

It's true that I did not like it but I did listen and I put the other
modem in place but I no sooner set it up to connect with my server than
it failed.

I'm down to learning how to put a router? in between the #1 & #2
computers and then connecting it to the ethernet connection on the
Modem/Router or I'll need to purchase a Wireless card to connect the #1
computer to the 2Wire.  I have looked on ebay and it looks like I can
pick up a PCI Wireless 802.11g for less than 20 dollars and I'll likely
go that way because I just have no idea how to put a four port into the
system and set it up.

So thank you to each and everyone of you.  I apologize for being such a
problem.  I'll try to research this 4 port deal but if I fail to learn
that I'll likeky go with the wireless pci card.