cpu frequency scaling:ignore_nice_load

Zach uid000 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 22:41:58 UTC 2008

Hi,

I have a Core 2 Duo laptop (2nd gen macbook) and I am trying to turn
off "ignore nice loads" when the laptop is on AC power, to enable the
cpu to scale for any load.

I can manually accomplish this by setting
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/ignore_nice_load to 0,
and the effect is immediate.  However, I cannot get it to work
automatically either at boot or when the laptop changes from battery
back to AC.

What I have tried so far:
I put the following script in /etc/acpi/ac.d:
#!/bin/sh
DEBUG=1
DONT_IGNORE_NICE_PIDS=0

for cpu in $SYS_CPU/*/$IGNORE_FLAG;
do
        echo $DONT_IGNORE_NICE_PIDS > $cpu;
done

if [ -n $DEBUG ];
then
        echo "Just set cpu freq to not ignore nice.";
        echo "It is $(cat
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/ignore_nice_load)";
fi

I know the script is getting run because it's output is logged. And it
shows the value of ignore_nice_load has been set properly.  However
something comes along and changes it back

Also, I have set the following variables in /etc/laptop-mode/laptop-mode.conf:

BATT_CPU_IGNORE_NICE_LOAD=0

LM_AC_CPU_IGNORE_NICE_LOAD=0

NOLM_AC_CPU_IGNORE_NICE_LOAD=0

(I know the BATT_CPU one isn't necessary, but i wanted to see if it
made a noticeable difference)

I also set the same variables directly in /usr/sbin/laptop_mode

I also set ENABLE_LAPTOP_MODE=true in /etc/default/acpi-support.

Any suggestions?

Thanks