apache virtual host problem

Ashley Benton meggalen at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 21:47:24 UTC 2008

I added the lines in /etc/hosts, so now when I try
http://theswebsite.com(secondwebsite) on the computer that is the
server, it shows me my first
site, the same thing happen when I try http://www.linuxabcd.org.
If instead of http://www.linuxabcd.org I try file://www.linuxabcd.org, I see
my file system.

When I try from the Windows computer I can find only the first site
I tried http://192.168.0.105, goes to the first website (seems logical to
me)
http://192.168.0.105/www.theswebsite.com the webpage cannot be found. It
does the same with file://192.168.0.105/www.theswebsite.

I tried apache2 -S in the terminal and this is the result:
VirtualHost configuration:
wildcard NameVirtualHosts and_default_servers:
*:*                                 is a NameVirtualHost
       default server myfirstsite.com (etc/apache2/sites-enabled/mysite:2)
       port * namevhost myfirstsite.com(/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/mysite:2)
Syntax OK

It apparently recognizes only one server name which is the name of the first
website.
Is there anything except writing name server and server alias in the virtual
host files that I should have done?
I have now 192.168.0.105 www.linuxabcd.org and <http://www.linuxabcd.org/>
192.168.0.105 name.second.domain defined in /etc/hosts
Thank you
Meg