System Spec (OT?)

Christopher Copeland chrcop at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 17:00:29 UTC 2008

On 4 Feb 2008, at 08:11, Liam Proven wrote:

> You do know that you can't effectively RAID together disks of
> different sizes?

Not true. While it does make life easier when using entire disks in
RAID arrays to have disks of the same size (and even better same
manufacturer and geometry as not all disks of size X are the same) it
is not required. However based on the cost of the components mentioned
I would assume the OP to be using software RAID and as such could be
using the 80GB plus half the 160GB as a RAID1 for data and the
remainder of the 160GB for the OS(es) etc.. While perhaps not a common
route, it is possible and would be effective.

> If you don't want RAID, I think the sweet spot for price:capacity in
> HDs at the moment is about 400MB.

You of course mean GB ;-)

--
Christopher Copeland