root password?

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Feb 4 15:29:42 UTC 2008

Peter Garrett wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 13:23:29 +0000
> Rosalind Mitchell <rcm at swimbarrow.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Sunday 03 February 2008 09:15:06 Binish A.R wrote:
>
> [snipped all the html garbage ;) ]
>
>> Can I put out a plea for plain text submissions to this and other groups
>> please?  The above is what I see at this end.  Not exactly a model of
>> lucidity.
>
> I quite agree on all counts... but I'm interested to find out what
> actually happens at your end. On your mail I see

> Does kmail not segregate text/html from text/plain ?

It certainly does.

> Here on Sylpheed, I see the "Binish A.R" post as two parts, one text/html
> and one text/plain... actually both are readable, but I  would have
> thought that it was possible to tell Kmail to read text/plain by default?

However, when I look at the source (in knode - because I'm getting it via
gmane, not mail), I see an _empty_ text/plain part - apparently, given that
it's empty, kmail & knode choose to show the text/html (but as text rather
than html, because I tell it to do that).

So whether or not KMail has done something bad (seems less likely since I
see exactly the same in KNode - though I think they share code), it seems
Binish's mailer has - or Rosalind is actually using gmane, too, and the
gateway messes up HTML (likely).  In any case, it all goes away if people
don't post in HTML...
--
derek