Digital camera as Webcam

Gilles Gravier gilles at gravier.org
Sun Feb 3 17:14:47 UTC 2008

Typically, Ekiga, the voice over IP / video conference application will
also help you detect if your camera is useable in Linux.

Most often, what happens is that your camera needs to be visible in
either Video 4 Linux (V4L) or Video 4 Linux 2 (V4L2)...

In recent distros, modern webcams supporting the USB-VC (USB Video
Class) interface are supported by default. This thanks to the work of
the likes of Sun
(http://opensolaris.org/os/community/device_drivers/projects/usb/uvc/),
Logitech (http://www.quickcamteam.net/) and of course the authors of V4L2.

Other webcams, well it depends on the chipset on board. Webcams with
Philips chipsets (including Logitech webcams) will work. Cams with
proprietary chipsets (including very old Logitech webcams) likely won't,
in most cases.

Gille.

--
/*Gilles Gravier*/ *=* *Gilles at Gravier.org* <mailto:Gilles at Gravier.org>
*=* *http://www.gravier.org/*
ICQ : *77488526*
<http://www.icq.com/whitepages/about_me.php?Uin=77488526> * || *MSN
Messenger : Gilles at Gravier.org <http://members.msn.com/Gilles@Gravier.org>*
*Skype : ggravier <callto://ggravier>* || *Y! : ggravier
<http://profiles.yahoo.com/ggravier> || AOL : gillesgravier
<aim:goim?screenname=gillesgravier>
PGP Key ID : *0x8DE6D026*
<http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?search=0x8DE6D026&op=index>
My Last Known Position / Ma Derniere Position Connue
<http://www.gmap-track.com/user.php?user=ggravier>
"Chastity is its own punishment." (/Solomon Short/) [/David Gerrold/]
"De toutes les aberrations sexuelles, la chasteté est la plus
aberrante." [Anatole France]