root password?

Pete Clapham w.clapham at csuohio.edu
Sun Feb 3 16:02:50 UTC 2008

The root account /is/ enabled, but it isn't given a password, so you
can't access it directly.  What you have to do is to sudo passwd root
and enter a password.  Since you've zapped your sudoers file, you
probably can't do that.  Personally, I much prefer to do a su and know
I'm a superuser than to depend on sudo for everything.  But that's my
preference; evidently most Ubuntu users have a different preference.

cheers,
pete

Peter Loron wrote:
> As far as I know, the root account is not enabled by default. Best bet
> is to boot up in recovery mode, and edit sudoers.
>
> -Pete

Pete Clapham
Department of Biological, Geological, and Environmental Sciences
Cleveland State University
Cleveland, Ohio, 44115

Voice:  [216] 687-4820
Fax:  [216] 687-6972