NO video picture with Skype (Beta) & Logitech QuickCam Communicate S

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux i-ubux at synass.net
Fri Feb 1 00:16:48 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 20:25 +0100, Thomas Kaiser wrote:
> SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
> >

> > Schöne Grüsse ins Ländle, Thomas ! ;-)
>
> Au as Grüssli i d'Schwiiz, svobi ;-)

Haha, Diini Grüessli gönd aber noch Malaysia !! ;-))

> > The ll or li or il made me curios and on you website I see FL
> > our eastern neighbor !! ;-))
> > Been in your village quite often for business and to visit
> > Heidegger's and the famous Alpina's. ;-D
>
> Heidegger's are located in the same town I life in and not so far away from my
> place :-)

Get a cool ride with the latest B5, my dream car, and let me know how
you like it !

> > Thank you for the hint how to install camorama:
> > With Synaptic it didn't work !
> > With your "sudo command" I got it and noticed an interesting comment,
> > something like re-installing a deselected (!?) package !!?? ;-|
>
> That's normal, during the initial install of the system not all (available)
> packages are installed, so deselected.
>
> > I really do not know having it UN-installed earlier !!!
>
> You didn't it was just NOT installed by the base system -> Ubuntu install CD.
>

> > The cheaper Logitech QuickCam Communicate STX works ...
> > ... the displayed picture indeed is very very poor,
> > it's very dark and the colors are far from authentic ! ;-|
>
> The cam is working. Your problem is Skype. I should install Skype to see how my
> webcams work with skype ;-)

I would love to learn why your Skype with the webcam is working and
MINE isn't !!! ;-D

> > The more expensive Logitech Quickcam Notebook for Pro
> > refuses to work. ;-(
>
> Can you post the USB ID of this cam. The command is "lsmod" in a terminal.
> And for the "cheaper" cam, too (I'm lazy to look through all mails to find it).

I recognized the following 4 entries and hope they are what you asked:

gspca 608336 0
videodev 29312 1 gspca
v412_common 1 videodev
v311_compat 1 videodev

> > Just downloaded gspca and would love some more info and/or
> > instruction how to patch and use it !?
>
> Nothing to patch!
> First of all, you have to check if you really need the newest gspca version!
> Check http://mxhaard.free.fr/news.html, the version of gspca included in Ubuntu
> Gutsy is 01.00.12. Check all the newer version and see if there was a change for
> your cam. If not, you are fine with the Ubuntu version of gspca.
>
> When you still want to compile the newest gspca version, just drop a mail to
> this list or private to me.

At the moment and as newbie I try to avoid any more complicated
installation
or even modification and patches !
Would like to learn more about it later !!

> > Your "Rat und Tat" is very appreciated, TIA !
>
> I think I did :-)

Oh, yes, Dangge schöön !! ;-D
Cheers, svobi