rsync question

Johnny Rosenberg gurus.knugum at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 21:42:06 UTC 2008

2008/12/31 stan <stanb at panix.com>

> Given a freshly restored machine that has been out of service for a good
> while, containing a large collection of data files "A", and "B" a in
> service machine thta has a subset of these data files, but has some newer
> files that are ont on "A". How can I invoke rsync such that only the new
> filee are trnasfered from "B" to "A"?
>
> I am confused by the large number of options to this program.

Type man rsync and look for the -u option. It should make sure only older
files are replaced with newer files.
In my own rsync script, with which I backup my internal drive to an external
one, I use do something like:
rsync -auv "${INTERNAL_DRIVE}/MyFolder" "${EXTERNAL_DRIVE}/" >>
"${MY_LOGFILE}"
The -v is for "verbose" and the text that is produced is, in this example,
redirected to "${MY_LOGFILE}", which I set to whatever file I want to add
the text to.
J.R.