rsync question

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 16:38:51 UTC 2008

stan wrote:
> Given a freshly restored machine that has been out of service for a good
> while, containing a large collection of data files "A", and "B" a in
> service machine thta has a subset of these data files, but has some newer
> files that are ont on "A". How can I invoke rsync such that only the new
> filee are trnasfered from "B" to "A"?

I usually use the following command to see what will be transfered ('-n'
only shows what will be done):

$> rsync -n -avue ssh bob_a at A:/home/bob_a/ /home/bob_b/

where bob_a is your username on A and bob_b is the username on B. You
must ssh server running on A.

NB: If you put a trailing slash at the end of the first path (source
path), the *contents* of that path are transfered to the destination
path. In the above example, everything in /home/bob_a will be checked
for transfer to /home/bob_b. Trailing slash on the destination path does
not matter. If the trailing slash is not there in the source path, then
the source *directory* is checked for transfer. So if you missed the
trailing slash in the above example, bob_a directory will be transfered
and you will get /home/bob_b/bob_a on B.

Also, ssh must come right after option e.

Now, if you are okay with the above command in what it will be
transfered, remove the "-n" for actual transfer.

Next, you can add a -z option if you want rsync to use compression. -C
option will exclude the usual backup and other temporary system files.

You can exclude a pattern to be transfered using --exclude thus:
--exclude="*.mpeg"

Finally, for more details on these options, see man rsync.

Regards.

ever having been read.