Disappearing menu panel

Ray Parrish crp at cmc.net
Wed Dec 31 14:54:17 UTC 2008

mark wrote:
> Hi Koh Choon:
>
> Thank you for your suggestion, unfortunately that didn't work for me
> and after exhausting everything I could think of, I finally had to
> reinstall the software again which worked fine until at one point when
> I needed to restart my computer the menu panels were gone again. I was
> smart enough to put my program shortcuts on my desktop instead of in
> the top menu panel. I wish there was some way to fix this ongoing
> problem. Thank you!
>
> Mark
>
> Koh Choon Lin wrote:
>>> And if all of those don't work, then reboot and at the grub menu, select
>>> the second kernel option for "Recovery". When that finishes booting
>>> select the xfix option. That will reset your xorg.conf to a default.
>>> When it finishes, select the 1st option to continue to boot normally.
>>>

>> Removing the configuration files in your home folder might help in
>> resetting to default.
>>

>> Koh Choon Lin

I've been having the same problem with the newest kernel for Hardy
Heron, and usually a reboot fixes it. If it doesn't, I then select the
next kernel back in my grub menu,on the next reboot, and that always
works. The big problem with this is that I must hard power down with the
power button in order to reboot.

I also notice that when I do power down, boot up messages begin
appearing on the screen, the first of which is the call to start alsa...
Tben after it starts four or five more thiings, it realizes it's
shutting down, and runs shut down scripts from that point on.

I don't know what is supposed to be starting right before alsa, but I
have a feeling it's the problem here. I note that the start up sound
works while the system is starting also, but when I get into X, I can
see the very edge of the drop down menu showing at the top of the
screen, but it refuses to come down into view, and attempting to use
ALT-F2 to bring up a Run Application box will not work either, although
anything on the desktop will start just fine.

I'm pretty new to Ubuntu so I don't know how to go about troubleshooting
this. I hope someone out there has some suggestions for us.

Later, Ray Parrish

Trouble shooting and Fixing Windows