Offical rwx files taht are in fact --- files!

Ray Parrish crp at cmc.net
Wed Dec 31 02:38:49 UTC 2008

François Huot wrote:
> Here is a difficult case: a friend brought me a hard drive from a
> Windows that has crashed and it wants to retrieve files. After I
> connect the disc to my Ubutu 8.10 with a USB port, I can see the files
> with the  ls command: the files are all rwxrwxrwx ... the problem is
> that when I want to see or copy these files, I 'm told that I don't
> have permission to do so, either in graphics mode (using a file
> manager) or from the command line (with cp ). I obviously used chmod
> command to confirm the rwx attributes of files, but it is useless...
> I'm never allowed to see, copy or transfer these files...
>
> Can anyone solve this mystery?
>
> Thank you,
>
> François Huot
> Montréal
I've encountered this problem on my dual boot system after Windows XP
has shut down uncleanly [crashed]. Windows writes something to the
drive, which doesn't get reset when the system crashes, and this makes
it unreadable or unmountable [can't remember which it was] until you can
successfully boot into Windows again, and subsequently attain a clean
shutdown of Windows.

I don't know of any workarounds, sorry.

Later, Ray Parrish

Trouble shooting and Fixing Windows