sudo and /etc/sudoers

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Tue Dec 30 16:42:36 UTC 2008

NoOp wrote:

> Reminds me of the recent Terry Childs case/issue w/San Francisco:
>
> <http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/07/18/30FE-sf-network-lockout_1.html>
>
> I can only hope that Derek's company has the root password locked up
> someplace that can be accessed in the event the daytime guy goes missing.

Not my company - I'm the high priced help - but why would I, or anyone, need
it?  If the operator goes rogue, as in the Childs case, the first thing he's
going to do is _change_ the password.  By the time you know there's a
problem, the only way you're fixing it is by booting the computer, and having
the password in a safe won't help you.

If the operator, otoh, gets hit by a bus, I can set a new root password from
sudo (but wouldn't bother...).