[SOLVED] Re: Gnome GUI way to burn a video DVD

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 16:46:04 UTC 2008

H.S. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> If I have a folder foo with the contents VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS (the
> folders found in Video DVDs) which the easiest GUI method in Ubuntu
> (Hardy) to burn them to a DVD?
>
> I personally prefer growisofs. But somebody has asked me about this and
> he is not a very expert user and needs a GUI method to burn the video
> dvd. My last resort is going to be k3b if no Gnome application can cut it.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Thanks.

Thanks for all who replied.

I tried Nautilus CD/DVD creator and it worked.

The main point is this: if one is creating a video DVD, all one needs to
do is burn the VIDEO_TS, and AUDIO_TS if you have it, folders to the DVD.

Unlike Audio CDs (Compact Audio Dics), there is no such things as video
DVD. All DVDs are just plain data dvds. But the ones we call 'video
DVDs' just have a special folder structure consisting of at least
VIDEO_TS (which has the various video fildes (vobs)) and optionally
AUDIO_TS.

Bottom line, if a user has the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders and wants
to create a DVD playable in DVD players, just insert a blank DVD in the
burner, start CD/DVD creator and drag and drop those two folders to the
burner window and burn the DVD.

Some applications have a "make a Video DVD" option (e.g. Brasero). IMHO,
that is a bit confusing to _novie_ computer novices. That option wants
the user to specify which VOB files to burn.

Regards.

ever having been read.