sudo and /etc/sudoers

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Tue Dec 30 16:36:50 UTC 2008

jdow wrote:

> [...]

That's Res's argument.  In the first place, I've worked in places (banks)
where that's true, and I never knew anyone to get even a warning about
writing down a password.   But more importantly, if you fire someone for
writing down a password, it's already too late - the offense has been
committed.

> The sudo password would have to be assigned via a password generator or
> password approval tool. (So should the main password, in which case
> both should be generated in one session.)

See, you get to that stage and even I start saying just don't give me the
access.

> When I was doing stuff that required the most security I found myself
> learning about a dozen different lock combinations, some push-button
> locks and some really good GSA approved security padlocks - every 6
> months. It can be done - unless you young whippersnappers are dumber
> than I was at your age. (With that load I never DID memorize my
> drivers license number.)

I've still got phone numbers and license numbers from decades ago running
around my head - and I still can never remember the plate on my car.

I can memorize as many passwords as I need (thankfully - a KMail crash
somehow trashed KWallet last week), and really so can most people, but they
_won't_, and any security scheme has to balance between the security
provided by having good keys, and the fact that users will bypass the keys
if they think it's too hard.