sudo and /etc/sudoers

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Tue Dec 30 16:24:40 UTC 2008

Res wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Dec 2008, Derek Broughton wrote:
>
>> LOL.  What a ridiculous attitude from somebody who claims to be an
>> expert. _Somebody_ has to run root programs, and ime it is both possible
>> and
>
> there is asuch a thing called automation, maybe use dictionary.com if you
> dont know what it means.

Yeah, typical Res.  If you insult people enough, they'll stop arguing with
you and you can pretend you won.

Automation is a fine thing.  It doesn't preclude (look that up in a
dictionary) needing to run root commands occasionally.

>> large server systems, I am one of the two prime administrators - neither
>> one of us actually has the root password, which _does_ exist but only the
>> daytime computer room operator has.  Works fine.
>
> Then you cant be trusted enough, so the daytime guy gets killed in a car
> accident or is dismissed, someone else needs to know it, especially in teh
> later case to change it.

I could have the password if I wanted it (in fact, I could set it if I
wanted to, then only I would have it).  I don't want it, because I don't
need it.  I don't need to know the root password to set it from sudo.

The daytime guy does stuff like change the backup tapes, but he doesn't
administer the machine.  He has the root password because he did the
original install.