Disappearing menu panel

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 30 00:36:52 UTC 2008

On 12/29/2008 04:17 PM, markfpyles wrote:
> Hi everyone:
>
> I have a big problem. I am running Ubuntu 8.04 (Gnome desktop) on a Dell
> Inspiron 1525 laptop and when I closed the computer down everything was
> fine, but when I started the computer up the menu panel at the top of my
> screen was gone and also my taskbar at the bottom. All I am left with is a
> blank desktop. Is there a way to get my menu at the top of my screen to work
> again? Please tell me I don't have to re-install everything. Thank you.
>
> Mark

My _guess_ is that when you started back up the desktop defaulted to
800x600 resolution and the menus are still there but hidden because of
the screen resolution.

Try this:

Alt-F2 (Alt key plus F2 key)
  then enter
    gnome-display-properties
and see what the resolution is set at. See if yoiu can reset to 1024x768
or whatever your standard resoluton is. If that doesn't work, then try this:

Alt-F2
  then enter
    gksu displayconfig-gtk
and try resetting from there.

If that doesn't work, then reboot and at the gdm login select "Session"
and then "Failsafe GNOME" and login using that. That may get you back to
a screen that shows the menus.

And if all of those don't work, then reboot and at the grub menu, select
the second kernel option for "Recovery". When that finishes booting
select the xfix option. That will reset your xorg.conf to a default.
When it finishes, select the 1st option to continue to boot normally.