ssh -X ..., I or Firefox doesn't understand X Forwarding

Rick Berger rberger at rogers.com
Mon Dec 29 23:51:03 UTC 2008

I'm running 7.10 on my pc and 8.10 on my laptop. Both are running sshd
and I've been connecting say from the pc to the laptop using 'ssh -X
rick at laptop' in a Terminal window. Now from the laptop's prompt in the
terminal window I type "firefox" and I get one of two possible outcomes;
1 if Firefox 2 is already running on my pc I just get another instance
of it, and 2 if pc is not running Firefox I get Firefox 3 running from
my laptop displayed on my pc, which is what I want. But then when I
click on my pc's Firefox icon it runs another instance of the laptop's
Firefox 3 not its Firefox. Obviously, I or Firefox doesn't understand X
Forwarding. Can someone explain what's going on?

--
Rick Berger <rberger at rogers.com>