sudo and /etc/sudoers

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 12:55:50 UTC 2008

Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>
>>     The two Subject things and their man pages are the most obscure
>> information I have ever seen on my computer. They do work but in trying
>> to explain to myself HOW they work was a thankless job. I have an idea
>> how it works but why is it so darn crude? It would seem that someone who
>> fully understands the code could write something that makes /etc/sudoers
>> much easier to read.
>>

> Keep in mind that /etc/sudoers does more than just say, "Johnny can have
> root but Billy can't".  It provides very fine granularity (which users
> and/or groups, which executables, which password to ask, etc.).
> Designing a better file format would be possible but non-trivial.
>
> Matt Flaschen

    Yes and it is seldom used. With a lot of thought, if I was running a
Unix computer with many users I would disable sudo, get me a root
password, and handle the users with which groups they belong to. Limit
the amount of space each can use, and things like that.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User