NFS mount /usr/local

Alex Katebi alex.katebi at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 01:56:34 UTC 2008

On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 7:26 PM, Charlie Kravetz <cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
> wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 18:23:32 -0500
>  "Alex Katebi" <alex.katebi at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >  The UID is the same on both machines. But I noticed that when I have
> > one NFS mount point, it works. I can not have both. This looks like a
> > bug. On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 5:42 PM, Charlie Kravetz
> > <cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
> > > wrote:

> > > I think only the $USER owning the directory on the server will be
> > > able to use it on the client if it is mounted rw. I had to be owner
> > > on both to do this.
> > >
> > > There are those with more experience than me, though.
> > >
> > > Good luck,
> > >
> > > --
> > > Charlie Kravetz
> > > Linux Registered User Number 425914
> > > [http://counter.li.org/] Never let anyone steal your
> > > DREAM.           [http://keepingdreams.com]
> > >
> > > --
> > >

> I think it is configuration. I
> access /usr/local, /usr/share, /var/log, /home, and /home/Downloads.
> The only issue is I must have a second mount point for /home/Downloads

> since it won´t mount using /home . I think that is because it is a

What do you mean by it won't mount Downloads? Do you mean it shows the
client Downloas dir not the server? Because this works for me. I do see the
Download dir.

> separate partition from /home .
>
> If it was a bug, I should experience the same issues you are having.

  I noticed that I had installed chkconfig. This script is not native to
Ubuntu. It is a replacement for update-rc.d. Potentially it starts
nfs-common and portmap at the wrong runlevels for me.
Would you be kind enough to tell me step by step how you setup your nfs
server and client using the update-rc.d or invoke-rc.d and what was the
exact syntax of your /etc/fstab?