dd use

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 29 00:30:37 UTC 2008

On 12/28/2008 05:06 AM, Paul Kaplan wrote:
> I want to boot a windows computer from an Intrepid LiveCD in order to make a
> disk image of a Windows installation.
>
> Would this be the correct dd syntax?
>
> dd if /dev/sda1 of /dev/sdb1/<filename>
>
> assuming win is installed on /dev/sda1 and I want to store the image on
> /dev/sdb1?
>
> Paul

Perhaps this will be of some help:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BackupYourSystem

It's a bit dated, but might help.

On a related note; has anyone tried the old AIR GUI for dd?

http://air-imager.sourceforge.net/
http://www.howtoforge.com/creating_dd_images_with_air

dd (I've not learned how to use it - yet) seems to be such an important
application I'm surprised that there isn't a default gui package (like
gparted/qparted etc) in Ubuntu for this. Perhaps there is a gui, but I'm
not aware of one.