8.10 Rescue Mode

Alex Katebi alex.katebi at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 17:09:11 UTC 2008

On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 11:41 AM, Charlie Kravetz <
cjk at teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 11:32:38 -0500
> "Alex Katebi" <alex.katebi at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am a transferee from Fedora and so far I am loving Ubuntu. I have a
> > big problem. I don't know how to get into the rescue mode. Yes I read
> > the docs but they are for 8.04 and they don't help much. "At boot
> > prompt type rescue then Enter" does not apply to 8.10 desktop. There
> > is not boot prompt. F6 and kernel arguments did not care for rescue
> > keyword. Can someone please help me before I go back to Fedora 10.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > -Alex
>
> You did not say, but I guess you are using the 8.10 desktop cd
> (LiveCD)? If you hit F1, then hilight F4 and hit enter, it tells you
> "there is no dedicated rescue mode on this cd, but you can use this
> live cd to rescue the broken system".

I did see that and booted into the live cd. However I need to chroot to my
install and did not know where my install is mounted. I guess I need to
mount my install then chroot to it. But does the live cd make my install
visible for mounting? What is the exact steps when in livecd if you know?

> Also, if you get a GRUB loading.... message on the install, hit ESC and
> then use recovery mode option to try to fix your system.

I don't see GRUB load message since this is a vmware install not a dual
boot.