mystery package

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 26 19:33:52 UTC 2008

--- On Fri, 12/26/08, Frank McCormick <fmccormick at videotron.ca> wrote:

> From: Frank McCormick <fmccormick at videotron.ca>
> Subject: mystery package
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Date: Friday, December 26, 2008, 12:48 PM
> Aptitude update and dist-upgrade are showing me 1 package
> not upgraded
> but no name or other clues
> How do I find out what it's not upgrading and why ??
>

> Cheers

Are you really wanting to upgrade to the next version(dist-upgrade)
or just wanting to upgrade your current version(safe-upgrade preferred).
you must be fully up-to-date on your current distribution to safely
upgrade to the next version. If you want to upgrade to the next version
try this:
sudo aptitude update      then
sudo aptitude safe-upgrade

Assuming everything completes without error then if you really want
to upgrade to the next version(hardy to intrepid for example) do
sudo aptitude dist-upgrade.  Or better, do a dist-upgrade from "package
manager".  HTH.
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net