wired connect to 802.1x network failed

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 25 14:18:07 UTC 2008

--- On Thu, 12/25/08, Leon <ljw2083 at alibaba-inc.com> wrote:

> From: Leon <ljw2083 at alibaba-inc.com>
> Subject: wired connect to 802.1x network failed
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Date: Thursday, December 25, 2008, 3:43 AM
> "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
> <head>
>
> </head>
>
> Still no one help me , maybe my description is not
> clear.<br>
> I found that netwok-manager can not access 802.1x with peap
> and
> mschapv2, but when I stop NetworkManager and kill
> wpa_supplicant
> process, <br>
> I do these work:<br>
> /etc/init.d/NetworkManager stop<br>
> killall  wpa_supplicant<br>
> /etc/init.d/networking stop<br>
> wpa_supplicant  -B -i eth0 -c ./wpa_supplicant.conf -D
> wired<br>
> /etc/init.d/networking start<br>
> wpa_supplicant.conf :<br>
> ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant<br>
> ap_scan=0<br>
> network={<br>
>     key_mgmt=IEEE8021X<br>
>     eap=PEAP<br>
>     identity="leon"<br>
>     password="leon"<br>
>     eapol_flags=0<br>
> }<br>
> Now, I can connect  to 802.1x with peap
> network.<br>
> Why netwok-manager can not connect to my network or I need
> configure
> somthing more? <br>
> Thank you.<br>
Leon, I can't help you with any of you error messages because
I just don't know enough about networking configuration.
However, there seems to be many issues with network manager
in several versions of ubuntu, hardy and intrepid included.
In my case, I purged NM and installed wicd and my connection
issues disappeared. The NM topic has been discussed plenty on
the list lately. If you purge NM it will remove ubuntu-desktop
which isn't a problem and if you reinstall NM it will bring
Ubuntu-desktop back and remove wicd; just so you'll know. I've
been very pleased with wicd vs. NM and don't think I'll go
back to NM unless it's fixed.  HTH.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net