Virtualbox Note

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Tue Dec 23 14:29:11 UTC 2008

Hi everyone...

I am sending this for the archives, primarily.

Recently I said that I upgraded Virtualbox because of installing a new
workstation running 8.10, and VBox has a new networking engine where you
don't have to jump through hoops with TUN/TAP to get a bridged network
set up and I said it wasn't working properly on the new install.

In case people are looking, I was wrong...turned out that of all things
to mess up, the image I migrated over was running with a static IP on
the virtual machine that just happened to be the IP I was setting on the
host machine, so the two were fighting over who owned the IP address.

So, I made a mistake, and I wanted it in the record that it does seem to
work well once you don't assign the same IP to the host and VM :-)