Flash 9 Vulnerability on Linux - was it patched in house

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 21 03:20:22 UTC 2008

On 12/20/2008 03:47 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 12/20/2008 07:18 AM, Gardier wrote:
>> On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 14:07:25 +0200, Aki Utoslahti wrote:
>>
>>> And that is fortunately the version which seems not to be vulnerable for
>>> exploits. Have you rolled every single update from repositories?
>>
>> I haven't got around to upgrading to 8.10 yet and this is partly what I
>> was checking, whether Hardy users will get this patch. Surely we ought to
>> as it's a security patch?
>>

> If you are running 32bit; enable the Universe repository via Synaptic
> (System|Administration|Synaptic...|Settings|Repositories|Ubuntu
> Software|Community-maintained... (Universe) is checked. Reload your
> repositories (Reload button).
>
> Now, from Synaptic, search using 'flash' (no quotes). Right click on
> 'flashplugin-nonfree' and 'Mark for complete removal'. Right click on
> 'adobe-flashplugin' and "Mark for installation". Click the apply button.
> When completed you will have flash 10.0.15.3-1hardy2 installed on your
> system.

And, as a kudos to Mario Vukelic from the "Flashplugin-nonfree' thread:
I found that after checking:

http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about/

I'd forgotten to update my ~/.mozilla/plugins libflashplayer.so to
version .15, which adobe-flashplugin provides. So I've now created a
link in ~/.mozilla/plugins to /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so
Thanks Mario :-)