Dial Up Modem Driver

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 21 00:02:54 UTC 2008

On 12/20/2008 02:21 PM, Bill Taylor wrote:
> SmartLink 56k PCI Modem

I'd recommend that you take it back and get a serial modem. Winmodems
are just more trouble than they are worth (IMO); some you can get
working, others not at all. Have a look here:

http://xmodem.org/modems/index.html
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DialupModemHowto/Modems
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DialupModemHowto/
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DialupModemHowto/GeneralDiscussion
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DialupModemHowto/Smartlink

Given the cost of DSL these days in the US it's generally just as cheap
(or cheaper) to subscribe to a low rate DSL plan.

Disclaimer: The only dialup winmodem I've ever gotten working is a
lucent in an old laptop. And getting that to work resulted in help form
folks here *and* further loss of whatever little hair I have left. So,
If she's paying $15 or so for a dialup plan, and if you can get DSL
instead in her location, you can probably find a $15-20 plan w/DSL.
Further, as some that use dialup here will attest, downloading 200MB of
downloads etc., just ain't much fun on dialup...